Monday, July 29, 2013

No More Mr Nice Guy

One of the things I've rediscovered recently is how much I like to read.   When I run across a great book I like to share it, and this book is a perfect fit for those of you who read my blog.

The book is called "No More Mr Nice Guy" by Dr Robert Glover.   I saw this book and downloaded a sample to see if I would like the book.   Let me share a few passages with you

       Nice Guys are concerned about looking good and doing it "right.".  They are happiest when they are making others happy.  Nice Guys avoid conflict like the plague and will go to great lengths to avoid upsetting anyone.  In general, Nice Guys are peaceful and generous.  Nice Guys are especially concerned with pleasing women and being different from other men.  In a nutshell, Nice Guys believe that if they are good, giving, and caring, they will in return be happy, loved, and fulfilled.

Sounds familiar to a lot of you doesn't it?    Lets see another passage.

       This myth is the essence of what I call the Nice Guy Syndrome.  The Nice Guy Syndrome represents a belief that if Nice Guys are "good", they will be loved, get their needs met, and live a problem-free life.  When this life strategy fails to produce the desired results - as it often does - Nice Guys just try harder, doing more of the same.  Due to the sense of helplessness and resentment this pattern inevitably produces, Nice Guys are often anything but nice.

When I  read that, it was like he was talking directly to me and wrote this book solely for my benefit.  Here is a little more:

        Nice Guys are givers.   Nice Guys frequently state that it makes them feel good to give to others.  These men believe their generosity is a sign of how good they are and will make other people love and appreciate them.

         Nice Guys seek approval from others.  A universal trait of the Nice Guy Syndrome is the seeking of validation from others.  Everything a Nice Guy does or says is at some level calculated to gain someone's approval or avoid disapproval.  This is especially true in their relationships with women.

         Nice Guys avoid conflict.  Nice Guys seek to keep their world smooth.  To do this, they avoid doing things that might rock the boat or upset anyone.

         Nice Guys repress their feelings.   Nice Guys tend to analyze rather than feel.  

         Nice Guy have difficulty making their needs a priority.   These men often feel that it is selfish to put their own needs first.   They believe it is a virtue to put others' needs ahead of their own.

         Nice Guys often make their partner their emotional center.   Most Nice Guys are only happy if their partner is happy.
   
I don't think I've ever read a book like this that TRULY understands what most guys go through and comes up with a plan of action to put you on the right course.   I highly encourage any of my male readers (female readers may want to buy this for their husbands or boyfriends as well) to go out and buy this book.   So many of the statements that I read in just the first chapter seem like he wrote the book specifically for me and the frustration I was experiencing, and I promise you'll feel the same way too.    You can order the book here:       No More Mr Nice Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment