Tuesday, November 26, 2013

12 Years A Slave



I saw this movie over the weekend.   The movie was really tough to watch during certain scenes, but I would wholeheartedly recommend that everyone sees the movie, as it truly illustrates the cruelty and horror of slavery.

After I left the movie, the one thought that stayed with me during the movie was just how much some of my ancestors truly had to endure and overcome.  It's kind of coincidental that I'd also been researching my own family history on ancestry.com, and was able to go back as far as 1820.  It's a strange thing to be able to look up a relative who more than likely was born into slavery.

I was left with a sense that I owe it to my deceased relatives and other slaves to actually make something of myself.  If a slave can be motivated enough to risk his life by teaching himself how to read, there's seriously NO excuse for why I haven't finished my college degree or why I'm stuck in a job I can't stand.   People have been jailed, had water hoses and dogs turned on them, and/or have died for me to have the right to vote, yet I haven't voted since the last presidential election.

It's amazing how we take so many things for granted because we didn't have to do anything to earn it.  I would often hear my dad and uncles talk about how they would make sure they walked in groups to avoid being singled out and attacked, yet I'm able to walk around by myself without a care in the world.  I think of Emmit Till who was beaten and shot to death for whistling at a white woman, and yet my wife and I can walk around holding hands as an interracial couple without much thought.

I think it's time I stop taking things for granted and truly appreciate all of the opportunities that have been afforded to me through the struggle of others.  


No comments:

Post a Comment